Salaried Organist /Pianist Job Description
Loveland United Methodist Church
10975 S Lebanon Rd
Loveland, OH 45140
Prepared by: Becky Parsons/Staff Parish Relations Date: June 2017
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
The Organist/Pianist is generally responsible for the execution of music for the traditional
worship service throughout the year and for special services conducted in the sanctuary. This
position supports music for choir activities. The non-exempt position requires approximately
10 hours per week. The Organist/Pianist shall be under the Music Director. This position also has an indirect reporting relationship to Staff Parish Relations. The duties outlined below apply to the Sunday morning traditional worship service and choir support unless otherwise noted.
– Exceptional organ/piano skills
– Exceptional sight reading skills
– Excellent ability to accompany the church choir, play for soloists and small groups
– Outstanding ability to play with other instruments (flute, percussion, keyboards, etc.)
– Capable of playing weekly preludes, offertories, postludes (combination of hymns, classical, traditional and contemporary sacred music)
– Ability to lead hymns through organ/piano accompaniment
– Ability to conduct sectional rehearsals
– Ability to follow a choral conductor
– Capable of playing a wide variety of musical styles
– Ability to play the organ preferred, but not required.
– Organist/Pianist plays during the weekly regularly scheduled worship service as well as special services conducted in the sanctuary, including but not limited to Easter, Palm Sunday, Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, Christmas Eve, and
Christmas Day as appropriate.
– Organist/Pianist will attend and play at all rehearsals of the Adult Choir and accompany the Adult Choir for all other occasions as may be arranged. Choirsession is from the middle of August through Memorial Day.
– Organist/Pianist consults with and receives direction/communication/guidance from the Music Director for Sunday music selections, including special music
– Organist/Pianist will consult with the Music Director concerning appropriate arrival time prior to rehearsals and worship services.
– Organist/Pianist accompanies guest performers during the worship service for special music offerings.
– Vacation time will not exceed 4 weeks per calendar year. Arrangements for coverage of duties should be discussed with the music director.
In case of absence because of illness or other circumstances, contact the Music
Director (first), to arrange for her to substitute; or, the Lead Pastor (second) as quickly as possible so other arrangements can be made.
Perform other duties as assigned.
This job description is not meant to be all inclusive and is subject to change
Ascension & Holy Trinity Episcopal Church in Wyoming, Ohio seeks a part-time [15-20 hours per week] Minister of Music.
We are a suburban, community-minded, outreach-focused Episcopal parish located in Wyoming, Ohio, 10 minutes north of downtown Cincinnati, Ohio. We celebrate one sung Eucharist every Sunday at the 10:00am service and on holy days. We also have occasional Evensong and Lessons & Carols services. Our choir is 22 voices strong and includes 4 paid soloist/section leaders. In recent years the music of Taizé and some of the contemporary music of the Episcopal Church has been well received. The Minister of Music reports to the Rector of Ascension & Holy Trinity.
. Work closely and creatively with the Rector in liturgical and music planning, and be
responsible for all musical aspects of worship at Ascension & Holy Trinity, including
weddings, funerals, and guest and substitute musicians.
. Be the primary organist and choir director at the 10.00m Sunday service.
. Train, rehearse and grow both the Chancel Choir and the Handbell Choir.
. Support and advise the Minister of the Youth Choir.
. Be responsible for maintaining excellence in traditional Anglican choral music
and hymnody at the 10.00am service, while being open to elements from the best
of other sacred music traditions.
. Grow the Congregation’s interest in and engagement in sacred music.
. Oversee all use and maintenance of our organ, pianos and handbells.
. Be an active member of the Ascension & Holy Trinity Church Family.
. Many enthusiastic and supportive music ministries including the Chancel
Choir, the Handbell Choir and the Youth Choir.
. Our organ is a Phoenix 3-manual hybrid organ with 57 ranks, installed in 2013.
. In the Chancel, a 1931 Steinway grand piano, refurbished in 2014, accompanies
the Youth Choir, Communion Hymns, songs, etc.
. A set of handbells, refurbished in 2016.
. A Baldwin baby-grand piano in the choir rehearsal room.
. An endowment fund for sheet music purchases.
. B.M. or B.A. in Music.
. Skilled in accompaniment and choral directing as well as encouraging
. Experience and competence with sacred music.
. Self-motivated, diligent and creative.
. Friendly, approachable and with a good sense of humor.
Please send a C.V. or resume by September 30th, along with a letter that addresses why you think you might be the right person for this position, to the Rev. Eric Miller, at email@example.com. Recordings will be requested at a later date.
Organist Position – part time
Holy Trinity Episcopal Church
25 East Walnut Street, Oxford, Ohio 45056
Holy Trinity is a vibrant 250-member church located a block from Miami University in uptown Oxford, Ohio. Holy Trinity seeks to be a welcoming congregation offering spiritual sanctuary to all, regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, age, ability, or socio-economic class; and to all persons who have felt marginalized in any way. We recognize each individual as a unique child of God. Music plays a significant role in the worship life of the church.
We are especially grateful for our 20-25 member choir made up of volunteers and paid section leaders under the leadership of Dr. William Bausano, Professor of Music at Miami University. The excellent acoustical environment of the church is used by various ensembles and groups for performances and recordings.
We are currently in the process of replacing our organ. A 1950’s Wicks organ that served our parish for more than 60 years was recently removed, and a tracker action instrument, built by JF Nordlie, (Opus 27,1995) is being installed. A description of the organ can be found on our web site at http://www.holytoxford.com
The installation will be complete in early or mid October. There is also a 1913 Steinway-A piano in the chancel.
Qualifications: Successful employment experience as organist
Degree(s) in music preferred but not required
Provide music for 10:30am Sunday worship service, including prelude, postlude, hymns, service music accompaniment, choir accompaniment.
Accompany adult choir rehearsals on Thursday evenings, 7:30-8:30pm, September through May.
Rehearse and accompany soloists.
Provide music for special services (e.g. Advent Lessons and Carols, Christmas Eve, Ash Wednesday,
Holy Week, etc.) and other special services or concerts.
Oversee the tuning and maintenance of the organ and pianos.
This is a part-time position (12-15 hours a week.). Compensation will be based to the extent possible on education and experience.
October 1, 2017 or as soon thereafter as possible.
Send cover letter, resume, and contact information for two references to
William Bausano at firstname.lastname@example.org, or to Holy Trinity Episcopal Church, 25 East Walnut Street, Oxford, OH 45056.
We anticipate that interviews and auditions will take place in early September.
For further information, contact:
Rev’d Sara Palmer, Rector email@example.com or
William Bausano, choir director firstname.lastname@example.org
Please visit our web site http://www.holytoxford.com